Monday, August 3, 2009

The Color Green

I dreamed I loved a giant. I could not see his face. I only saw his eyes. They were large and brown and tired. I couldn't even fit my arms around his foot, covered in expensive loafers despite such a gargantuan size. He smelled like a burning match and when he sighed his breath traced invisible fingers through my hair like a strong gale of wind. He would do that a lot, sigh I mean. He sighed at my childish jokes; sighed at my attempts to speak with him, trying out different tongues and foreign words; sighed at my smiles, wide and assuming so much about him that I couldn't understand as I was; sighed when I tried to see his face and climb his limbs.

"I love you," I told him.

He gushed air, "Sigh."

I tried to throw my arms around him but they would not fit. I heard a cry from behind me and I turned to see what it was. Nothing met my eyes and upon turning back to my giant love... I saw that he was just a tree. I was in love with a tree. A tree.

How hopeless. At least I knew he couldn't run away.

No comments:

Post a Comment